Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Think 18" Virtual Classroom

To be successful learning on-line, students have a plethora of things to consider.  First and foremost, students need to understand what on-line learning really means.  I thing that many of them think it is fun and games and that they can merely surf the Internet.  On-line learning offers students a new opportunities to learn anytime and from anywhere it is accessible.  They need to understand and respect the fact that there will be collaborating with the teacher of the course whether it be in school or via an on-line course instructor.  Moreover, it is a structured environment with a specific purpose. 


The State Educational Technology Plan of 2006 requires students to use technology for learning (on-line) in all courses beginning in 2011.  Being it is 2012, they should be taking part in this while we "speak".  They are getting a pretty good taste of the on-line learning with the limited access to technology that I currently have at my disposal.  They are 21st century learners and that includes the use of technology to reach them in their world.  The following list of abilities students need to acquire were listed on the "Michigan Online Requirements" stop on the game board navigation path:

  • Expand student use of technology tools for learning
  • Increase skills that are essential for workplace productivity
  • Collaborate within a different type of learning community
  • Engage in new communication methods
  • Make independent learner decisions
  • Take responsibility for student learning needs


  • Aligning to the NETS-T: 1.a, 1.b, 1.c, 1.d, 3.b, 4.a, 4.b, 4.c


    To extend my classroom would be to inspire my students in innovating ways as to assist them in developing a love and excitement for learning and using the knowledge that they gain through our experience together.  By extending my classroom, my students could learn from me anywhere and anytime over and over and over again.  The extension of my classroom would open up the learning situation in my face-to-face classroom allowing more trials, hands-on enrichment of the information presented to them outside of class, and to focus more on the detail of the lesson and help deeper understanding of all of the levels of my learners.  Moreover, extending my classroom would allow me to do the following "things" with and for my learners:


    1.  Simulate information
    2.  Expand the visual image they create in their minds through illustrations of the topics
    3.  Innovate and inspire inventiveness in my learners
    4.  Engage my students in real time learning and experiences
    5.  Engage my students in exploring the real world to allow them to make connections to enhance their understanding of a given topic.
    6.  Model collaboration through virtual experiences and provide them with the opportunity to collaborate with classmates and learners from around the country or world.
    7.  Encourage and enable all students to set, monitor, and manage their educational goals and assess progress and make changes were applicable  
    8.  Address and model save, legal, and ethical use of digital information and the correct documentation of information and resources


    I plan to extend my classroom by providing more information and lessons on my Weebly site for anytime, anywhere reiteration of topics discussed and modeled face-to-face.  I plan to recreate my lessons on the syntax and how it aides in the semantics of our language.  Moreover, I can demonstrate more and make it a section of my website for additional exposure.  This way, those who want more or want more and are embarrassed or nervous to ask for more help can access the demonstrations from home.  Demonstrating the proper use of dialogue in narrative text, forming all of the different ways to show plural possession, and Daily Oral Language examples of proper use of conventions will be great lessons to put out there in the viral world.     

    (Reference number for my CAPspace   # 7399766471)




    No comments:

    Post a Comment