Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thing 11 - Prezi


http://prezi.com/h4qxcbamswoh/edit/#19_2558484

Prezi . . . PowerPoint . . . hmmmmm . . .

Prezi seems like a lot of fun provided I have time to tutor myself and make it work for to meet my needs.  I am partial to PowerPoint.  Without penning what would appear to be an invitation to a pity party, I will be concise . . . it is in my comfort zone.  I have used PowerPoint in my class for years, it is user-friendly, I get updated versions of it via school and my computer system at home, and it is in my comfort zone!  As with anything that fits in a busy/hectic life, it is easy to stay on the path of familiarity - the path of least resistance.  With a schedule like mine and my family's, it is easy to say that there is just not any time to sit and figure out how to use another presentation program when the one I use now works for me.   PowerPoint is what works for me, and 95% of my students have been introduced to P.P. at some point in the past two years.

 However, despite all of the aforementioned, I will admit that Prezi does have character and a whole different dimension that many of my students will be drawn to and love.  Prezi seems more "hip" if that makes any sense.  From what I have played around with for this assignment, I think they will like how the presentation looks when it is progress.  If it was up to me, I would stick with P.P. presentations, but some students may work better with the Prezi presentation format.  Therefore, I now have a plan B for  the presentation my students will do to demonstrate and show what knowledge they have gained over the past few months in relation to the narrative we are 3/4 of the way through.  This novel has been our text book that we use to discuss many facets of the L.A. curriculum.  The first portion of the assignment will be to create a presentation for Figurative Language in the form of simile,metaphor, and personification from our text.  The will also develop two-three slides to share their life metaphor through song, poem, or format of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment